Blog Entry

'TP. Ho Chi Minh Mega City' Book publishing, February 2014

by Astrid Schulz , under


During my time in Vietnam I had a commission for a photo book in Ho Chi Minh City (by Michael Waibel & Hilbert Henning). In only seven days I photographed between 30-40 individual people and families in their homes or at work and asked them about their relationship to HCMC. The outcome is forming one chapter in this book, which otherwise documents the developments of the vibrant economic metropolis and biggest city in Vietnam.

For my chapter I wanted to take a closer look behind the facade and explore how people use their personal space. This gave me the opportunity to gather a fascinating insight into homes and workplaces from rich to poor, from younger to older generations and from migrants to those who lived here all their lives and helped to shape this city.

The book is published by 'Times Publishing House' and its ISBN No is: 978-604-936-338-2

My personal collection of the images can be seen at: www.astridschulz.com/hcmc/


The launch event will take place in Hanoi on 19 February at 6pm (venue: Goethe Institute Hanoi, 56-58 Nguyen Thai Hoc Hanoi, Vietnam). Click here for information.
A second event will be held in HCMC on 23 February at 10am (venue: Salon Van Hoa Cà Phé Thu Bay Lau 1, 19b Pham Ngoc Thach, District 3, HCMC).