Blog Entry

‘Maagni Fi’, Artist in Residence at Waaw from 2014-15, 13.10 – 02.11.2015

by Astrid Schulz , under ,


"Maangi fii" means "I am here" in Wolof, the local language in Senegal. Well, I am not, but some of my artwork still is. So, as I am proud to have been part of the artist residency community at Waaw in Saint Louis, I am happy to announce that there will be a retrospective of previous artist and my work will be included.

The picture on the right is a pattern, which is part of a paper carpet with the title 'Made in Senegal'. It shows the hands of a local woman whilst producing Thiakry, a millet based breakfast cereal.  The motive echos the bold and colourful fabrics seen all over Africa, whereas the paper carpet itself is 'covering' for various types of foods that are produced in Saint Louis.

Venue: Galérie Éthiopiques, rue Khalifa Ababacar Sy x Potin, Saint Louis, Senegal


Opening times: 11am – 1pm & 7pm – 7pm

Other artwork on display has been created by Carl Fredrik Koltermann, Maya Portner and Tobias Richardson. With this exhibition Waaw is going to open its doors again for a new season of international artist.